Bible Readings for Monday, November 7th, 2011
– The Week of The 21st Sunday After Pentecost
*Click on each bible passage to expand the text.1. [A Psalm of David, when he was in the Wilderness of Judah.] O God, you are my God, I seek you, my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water.
2. So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary, beholding your power and glory.
3. Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you.
4. So I will bless you as long as I live; I will lift up my hands and call on your name.
5. My soul is satisfied as with a rich feast, and my mouth praises you with joyful lips
6. when I think of you on my bed, and meditate on you in the watches of the night;
7. for you have been my help, and in the shadow of your wings I sing for joy.
8. My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me.
9. But those who seek to destroy my life shall go down into the depths of the earth;
10. they shall be given over to the power of the sword, they shall be prey for jackals.
11. But the king shall rejoice in God; all who swear by him shall exult, for the mouths of liars will be stopped.7. The LORD has sworn by the pride of Jacob: Surely I will never forget any of their deeds.
8. Shall not the land tremble on this account, and everyone mourn who lives in it, and all of it rise like the Nile, and be tossed about and sink again, like the Nile of Egypt?
9. On that day, says the Lord GOD, I will make the sun go down at noon, and darken the earth in broad daylight.
10. I will turn your feasts into mourning, and all your songs into lamentation; I will bring sackcloth on all loins, and baldness on every head; I will make it like the mourning for an only son, and the end of it like a bitter day.
11. The time is surely coming, says the Lord GOD, when I will send a famine on the land; not a famine of bread, or a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD.
12. They shall wander from sea to sea, and from north to east; they shall run to and fro, seeking the word of the LORD, but they shall not find it.
13. In that day the beautiful young women and the young men shall faint for thirst.
14. Those who swear by Ashimah of Samaria, and say, “As your god lives, O Dan,” and, “As the way of Beer-sheba lives”– they shall fall, and never rise again.20. Brothers and sisters, do not be children in your thinking; rather, be infants in evil, but in thinking be adults.
21. In the law it is written, “By people of strange tongues and by the lips of foreigners I will speak to this people; yet even then they will not listen to me,” says the Lord.
22. Tongues, then, are a sign not for believers but for unbelievers, while prophecy is not for unbelievers but for believers.
23. If, therefore, the whole church comes together and all speak in tongues, and outsiders or unbelievers enter, will they not say that you are out of your mind?
24. But if all prophesy, an unbeliever or outsider who enters is reproved by all and called to account by all.
25. After the secrets of the unbeliever’s heart are disclosed, that person will bow down before God and worship him, declaring, “God is really among you.”
- But the king shall rejoice in God; all who swear by him shall exult, for the mouths of liars will be stopped. – Psalm 63:11
- The time is surely coming, says the Lord GOD, when I will send a famine on the land; not a famine of bread, or a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD. They shall wander from sea to sea, and from north to east; they shall run to and fro, seeking the word of the LORD, but they shall not find it. – Amos 8:11-12
- After the secrets of the unbeliever’s heart are disclosed, that person will bow down before God and worship him, declaring, “God is really among you.” – 1 Corinthians 14:25
A Famine of Truth
What is to become of a people who can no longer hear the Word of God? We search high and low, we scour the pages of the bible, we evangelize and we baptize, but the Word cannot be heard, because Truth cannot be found.
What is passed as truth in general in today’s modern Christian churches is regressing into a form of neo-legalism. “Thou shall nots” are becoming the zeitgiest of modern Christianity, in place of Yeshua’s liberating and freeing, “You shalls…”
The “You Shall” Commandments of Christ
- You shall love your God with all of your soul, your strength and mind. (Lk 10:27)
- You shall love your neighbor as you love yourself. (Lk 10:27)
- You shall love each other. That is how the world shall know you are my disciples. (Jn 13:34-35)
All of the Law and the Prophets are contained in these commandments. (Mt 22:37-40)
Pretty simple, right? Why then does the modern Church spend so much time and effort to make it so complicated?
If you love as Yeshua loved us, you will not materially err. You will make the right choices. You will become a just and upright Child of God.
For Yeshua is the plumb-line set down for us (Amos 7:7-8), to serve as an example of that rectitude of life and conduct, and through our emulation of his life – not our stale inactive worship – we shall create the Kingdom of Heaven on Earth. Yet it is not for our sake but for the sake of the world!
As long as we mourn the Yeshua’s body on the cross, and we do not emulate the living, risen Christ, then we shall be ever deceived and help captive by the stilly-shades of our own impending death. We shall never see past the lie that is death to the breaking light of a resurrection morning.
As long as we fear death, the I fear the Word of God is lost to us.
11. “The days are coming,” declares the Sovereign Lord,
“when I will send a famine through the land—
not a famine of food or a thirst for water,
but a famine of hearing the words of the Lord.
12. Men will stagger from sea to sea
and wander from north to east,
searching for the word of the Lord,
but they will not find it.
Yet, I do not fear that The Word is forever lost!
When we, as a people, finally can begin to celebrate Yeshua’s life and victory through emulation – transforming our lives and actions in accordance with his – then will we find the Word of God again, we shall hear it once more in all of its simplicity, for we shall BE the Word of God to the world.
I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.